Thursday, December 13, 2007

Protect Yourself against Fraud

I know you may say to yourself that fraud won't happen to you, but it COULD happen to anyone. I am very careful about who I give my account info to and for what purpose. I have even thought about putting a 'halt' on my SSN, so the credit bureau would need to contact me anytime anything was applied for before they put the request through. I haven't done that yet because fraud hasn't happened to me until NOW!

I monitor my accounts very closely through online banking. I love it! I always log out and never save my info with a cookie (that's when all your log in info is saved). There was a purchase on the 11th at Shell, which is a gas station, but the nearest one is in southern Rockford on Baxter. I called Ry and asked him what we did on the 11th because I don't remember going there. I logged on today and there was another purchase on the 13th, today, at Shell RN Chicago IL. Oh NO! I definitely haven't been to Chicago since 11/18. I quickly called my bank (open 24/7) and spent 45 minutes from start to finish. Those transactions were marked as fraudulent, and if they post, they will credit back the entire amount. My card was suspended until all pending transactions post and a new one was sent out. The bank fraud rep said that all someone needs is your 16 digit account number from your card, and with today's technology your card can be replicated.

I don't know how much more anal I can get about my account numbers and financial access, but I will never let my card sit on the counter while I am making a payment or let it leave my sight.

So, please be careful. Monitor your accounts. Never give your account info in an e-mail or over the phone if a 'bank' calls you. I had a phone call about a year ago...I won something and they needed to 'verify' my account info. I reported it to the FBI. If in doubt, get their phone number and name and call THEM back.

It can happen to anyone!

No comments:

Our Honeymoon